Kiruke no Shima - Circe's Island

Got a software project you're working on? Share the details with us here.
Please only post 1 topic per project and keep the replies and threads pertaining to the project within the same post.
Forum rules
Software Project Forum Group:
Please 1 one topic per project.
Keep all comments and replies and threads within the same topic, and try to avoid creating new ones.

Kiruke no Shima - Circe's Island

Postby Bosco » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:19 pm

As we now have a shiny, new forum I thought I'd seize the opportunity to post a brief introduction to a game I'm developing for the Dragon and CoCo 2.

After releasing Flagon Bird I had an appetite to make something original and different. I liked the cutesy Asian look of my first game so I imagined, what if there was a Japanese CoCo, (or JoCo :lol:), that was shelved due to competition from the NES? And what if a finished game was discovered abandoned on the hardrive of an old development machine sold on Ebay Japan? That game is `Kiruke no Shima' or Circe's Island. :D

So it's a twitch style arcade game, (60fps), with cute graphics and a slightly esoteric Japanese coin-op vibe. Also if you like discovering Easter Eggs you should be in luck.

That's about all for now. I'll post updates here, as and when I have time, and if like me you're not someone who usually programs, hopefully this project may encourage you to write a game too?

Bosco

Re: Kiruke no Shima - Circe's Island

Postby ogsteviestrow » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:28 pm

This looks AMAZING Steve! Thanks for sharing!
Steve Strowbridge aka The Original Gamer Stevie Strow
Host of CoCoTALK! the nation's leading live talk show featuring the Tandy Color Computer

ogStevieStrow@gmail.com

http://ogsteviestrow.com
http://cocotalk.live
http://imacoconut.com
http://8bit256.com
ogsteviestrow
Site Admin

Postby nowhereman999 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:39 pm

Hi Bosco,

I like the sounds of your new game. It's always great to hear of more software coming for our CoCo. :)
I'm looking forward to watching your game progress.

Cheers,
Glen
nowhereman999

Postby Bosco » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:20 am

Thanks guys. :D

Hopefully this section will become a hub of activity with lots of new games and software projects?
Bosco

Postby nowhereman999 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:42 pm

Bosco wrote:Thanks guys. :D

Hopefully this section will become a hub of activity with lots of new games and software projects?

That would be awesome!!!
nowhereman999

Postby erico » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:11 pm

I guess I had to login just to state that this game is looking wonderful.
I always found this coco palette to be a very tough challenge when creating stuff.
Any news to share?
erico

Postby Bosco » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:49 pm

Hi erico.

Thanks for checking out my project and for the positive feedback. :D

The palette can indeed be challenging as can the resolution, (128x96 in this case), but I guess I've learned to embrace them both. :)

I don't have any news to share at the moment but I'll give you a little more background if it's of interest?

So back in June, I took a playable demo to the Dragon event in Cambridge, here in the UK. Much of the tech was in place but I was using almost all of the 32k available and still had lots of ideas and content I wanted to cram in. On the drive home I had a radical rethink and decided to implement leaner, meaner and more ambitious sprite and behaviour systems. I should add I've taken the `stone soup' approach to development which may go some way to explaining why I'm having to rethink things. :lol:

Anyway, I'm slowly piecing it all back together again and feeling very encouraged by the results. Eventually I'd like to release it as a Games Master cartridge assuming there's enough interest?

In the meantime I'll try to post a rough work-in-progress video.

Cheers, Steve.
Bosco

Postby erico » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:21 pm

Really nice Bosco!
Yep, the palette and resolution are a challenge, but the kind I enjoy. Did many game mockups for the likes of gamebuino and its sucessor (84x48 2 colors, 80x64 16 colors fixed palette).
Please post videos and work in progress as they are extremely motivating to the rest of us!
erico

Postby Bosco » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:17 pm

Ok, here's a quick video of the Cambridge demo.

https://youtu.be/zoSf6YLa8Xg

I'm still at the roughing out stage but hopefully you can see some of the core mechanics coming together.

I should stress this is only my second coding project so I'm trying not to get too ambitious.

Cheers, Steve.
Bosco

Postby nowhereman999 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:07 pm

Wow Bosco this looks great!

I won't have guessed it was only your second coding project. You already have sound effects too. The playability looks nice and fast.

Keep up the great work, :)
Glen
nowhereman999

Next

Return to Software Projects